Longer shutter speed than camera's lowest shutter speed

Started 2 months ago | Questions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Sinawang Forum Member • Posts: 61
Longer shutter speed than camera's lowest shutter speed

Hi..

I'm not experienced about using ND filters, so I educated myself more about it. I want to get my first ND filter for my purposes and haven't got any because I don't want to waste my money on something I'm not sure. While I was looking for information about the most versatile ND filters in terms of how many stops to use as the most versatile stop value, I found articles says that,

"..you will want a 6 stop or 10 stop ND filter as this will give you an exposure time of at least 30 seconds and up to 4 minutes."

This confuses me. How can a physical filter can bypass the lowest shutter speed given in camera specs which most of cameras lowest shutter speed is 30 seconds regardless bulb mode instead hitting the 30 seconds limit and unable to adjust further to balance the exposure without adjusting ISO & aperture?

How can that 30 seconds limit being broken "up to 4 minutes" achieved with only attaching ND filter???

Or did I missed that some camera's lowest shutter speed can be slower that 30 seconds?

And how many stops is the most versatile ND filter?

Thankyou

ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Lan
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow