The end of the compact camera

Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
Ed B
Ed B Forum Pro • Posts: 11,480
Re: I believe the low end sub $400 is dead

Kokopelli_Rocks wrote:

I think high end compact cameras- say $800-1500+ are still viable for a few higher end models. I think the low end is dead and just a few remnants remain. Why buy small sensor camera when you can just use a phone.

Honestly I think the entire sub $1000 dedicated camera market is on life support. Mainly due to economics. A company has to sell in large volumes to make the market viable. For the casual photographers their smartphones are good enough for their needs.

I agree with you about the lower spec cameras being on life support and it seems like this pandemic has also contributed to the demise of the less expensive cameras.
Time marches on and everything changes but I don't think I could ever enjoy using a cell phone, as a camera.

I will admit that I basically stopped using a DSLR, quite a wile ago, and started using the much smaller fixed prime lens cameras but to give up a proper camera, all together, is something I don't like to even think about.

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow