Started 5 months ago | Discussions thread
JahnG
JahnG Veteran Member • Posts: 3,362
Re: The end of the compact camera

tbcass wrote:

JahnG wrote:

tbcass wrote:

Fazal Majid wrote:

The small-sensor point-and-shoot compact camera is dead, except for a few niches like waterproof "tough" cameras or superzoom travel models like the Panasoic ZS80/TZ95.

I think the 1" sensor compacts like the RX100vii have the best future. Smaller than 1" are dead.

PS, Don't tell Panasonic that the 1/2.3 cameras are dead

But yes, I agree, especially concerning the 1" cameras.

Jahn

Aren't most of the 1/2.3 sensor cameras sold now larger superzooms and not compacts?

Well yes, however Panasonic has for many years manufactured "ultra compact" superzooms, which I have  always thought  about as "compact cameras", as they are compact in size.    The newest version (?) seems to be the 1/2.3 sensor ZS80 (TZ95) model.

(I have in working condition older similar models ZS40 (TZ60) and ZS15 (TZ25).

Probably these Panasonic cameras should just be considered as "superzooms" although they are about same size as older traditional compact cameras?

My current 1"  "walk around" camera, the ZS100 (TZ100) isn't really much bigger than these small "superzooms", although thicker, so I carry it on the waist.

Jahn

JahnG's gear list:JahnG's gear list
Canon PowerShot A650 IS Panasonic ZS100 Pentax K100D Super Pentax K-r Pentax K-S1
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow