Starting over - Am I crazy for wanting a DSLR in 2021?

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Divel Ron Nash New Member • Posts: 2
Starting over - Am I crazy for wanting a DSLR in 2021?

I know this is long but I really want to know what YOU think!

I got my first DSLR in 2010. I started with a T1i/500D and I couldn’t learn fast enough. I took it everywhere, practiced every day, it was a blast. A little later I upgraded to a 60D. I had 3 nice lenses, a Speedlite, and some other stuff, a nice little rig for a hobbyist. I got into shooting RAW and processing in PhotoShop. I was a regular on this forum for years. Unfortunately, a personal tragedy (lost my son) sent me into a spiral, and I sold all my gear in 2015. Photography has been limited to my phone ever since.

Lately I’ve been thinking about jumping back in. Mirrorless was becoming a thing when I was exiting the hobby, and of course it’s the rage now, so I figured that might be where I start. But after a lot of reading and video watching, I keep coming back to the old DSLR. Specifically, the latest gen of my venerable 60D, the 90D.

I think it’s part familiarity, part nostalgia. I’m 55. My next camera could well be what I use the rest of the way, and if that’s a DSLR, I’d be fine with that. As a hobbyist, many of the factors that influence a pro don’t apply to me. I love the feel of a DSLR in the hand, weight isn’t a big deal. I like APS-C, it’s what I’m used to, and it’s more economical than FF. Used APS-C lenses seem pretty economical (probably because people are moving to mirrorless?) I live in the mountains, wildlife and landscapes are often my subjects, so not too expensive zooms are a plus.

One thing I never got used to with a DSLR is feeling conspicuous in public. I think street photography would be fun, but I’ve never really done it because of how a big DSLR, lens & hood makes it impossible to be incognito. Mirror slap doesn’t help either. That’s the main negative of the DSLR to me, so I might just skip the street.

I’ve always preferred Canon as a brand. I've been looking at a lot of others, but I think I want to stay there. I’ve watched tons of videos, many on the M6 Mk II and the 90D. I feel like the 90D, which does more than I’ll ever need, is the elder statesman of xxD line, which has come a long way since then 10D my father had. I’m trying to like the M6, but it seems like there’s a lot of shortcomings, and this line needs a few more model generations before it’s the cat’s meow.

But...a new DSLR in 2021? Will it be obsolete in a few years? Or is it already?

Let me have it people, all opinions welcome!

Canon EOS 10D Canon EOS 60D Canon EOS M6
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
MOD Smaug01
MOD Smaug01
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow