R5, R6, R3? Horses for courses.

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
danferrin Regular Member • Posts: 432
R5, R6, R3? Horses for courses.

A few months ago, I bought an R5.  It wasn’t really the camera I wanted, but it had become clear to me that Canon wasn’t going to be releasing a 7D3 anytime soon, if at all, and I wasn’t impressed with the 90D for shooting Birds in Flight.  My 7D2 was getting old and tired and I had become eager for better focusing capability.  A few months earlier I had traded my 6D2 for an RP and was impressed with the RP for my non wildlife photography.  The R5 has the resolution to compete with the 7D2, especially when I add the 1.4 extender to my 100-400 Mk2, and focus, detail and high ISO performance are all a big step up from the 7D2.  As a bonus, the R5 is better for my other needs than the RP is.  However, the downside of the R5 for me has been viewfinder lag when tracking birds in flight.  I would much rather be tracking flying birds through an OVF than the R5's EVF.  That said, when I do get a focus lock on a bird in flight and succeed in tracking it, the camera is outstanding.
For my preferences, I would prefer a full frame camera with the R5's performance and a great 30 mp sensor for all my non bird photography, coupled with an R7 crop frame with similar specs, but a very high performance EVF that could lock on focus instantlyand track with virtually no lag.

Clearly, Canon won’t give me the exact cameras I want, but they have given me a pair of insanely good cameras to choose from in the R5 and R6.  And it looks like the R3 will provide a third great option.  Of the three, the R5 is best for my needs, though I can see the R6 as a great second body for things like grandkids, landscape, street, flowers and macro where I do very little cropping.  And, although the R3 will probably be an insanely great camera, as a retired ex catalog photographer who shoots for my own enjoyment now, it is more camera than I need.  But if an R7 comes out with a fast EVF before I get an R6, I’ll probably jump on it and use the R5 for everything but the birds.  And with that combo, each could be a good backup for the other.  But there is no R3 or R1 in my personal roadmap, though I know they will be great cameras for a lot of people.

-- hide signature --

My life is a circle of confusion - photography is my meditation.
See my work at www.danferrinphotography.com

danferrin's gear list:danferrin's gear list
Canon EOS 7D Mark II Canon EOS RP Canon EF 20mm f/2.8 USM Canon EF 85mm F1.8 USM Canon EF 20-35mm F3.5-4.5 USM +16 more
Canon EOS R5 Canon EOS R6 Ricoh Caplio R7
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow