The end of the compact camera

Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
john isaacs Veteran Member • Posts: 5,874
Re: Not dead.... but now a very different market

sybersitizen wrote:

Travis Nicky Bombastus wrote:

Guy Parsons wrote:

Marty4650 wrote:

Fortunately, I plan to remain in the minority. My phone is useful for documenting where I parked my car or for casual snapshots, but for any sort of serious photography I want an ILC or a high end large sensored compact. But that is just me. Others will disagree.

I'm in same leaky boat.

Recently bought a smartphone only so I could log into shops and venues during Covid lockdown stress (Sydney). Hate it for phoning, hate it for photos, hate it for it's clunky size. Spends most of its time forgotten on a shelf and often forget to take it on the rare occasions out of the house.

Previously spent years trying to find the "perfect" compact camera to complement/backup my M4/3 gear. Casio did splendidly but their range of 1/2.3 and 1/1.7 inch sensors left night shots a disappointment, otherwise were the perfect day cameras. Sensibly they saw the writing on the wall early and stopped making consumer cameras despite always being a big seller in Asia.

So the quest led me to the Sony RX100M6 and it's definitely a good enough camera to take only it for a holiday (or day out). At worst it is the easy to use camera to share the photo load with the M4/3 gear.

As I get older and ever more creaky I suspect that the M4/3 little shoulder bag will be used even less and the good 1 inch sensored compact will be the only camera I carry. That darn smartphone can rot at home.

The thing that worries me about the RX100 is how tiny it is. Have you ever pressed two buttons at once because of its size?

I'm not the person you asked ... but I have an RX100M3 (actually a tad thinner than the M6 but otherwise the same dimensions) and I've never done that even with my rather fat, stubby fingers. I have pressed the wrong button numerous times, but that's something different, which has also happened pretty often with my 'large' cameras.

Wow.  That really struck a chord with me!

john isaacs's gear list:john isaacs's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH4 Nikon D750 Olympus E-M5 II Nikon D500 Olympus E-M1 II +16 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow