Not a Mirrorless in sight….

Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
straitouttahell
straitouttahell Contributing Member • Posts: 670
Re: Not a Mirrorless in sight….

yray wrote:

I’m thinking Nikon will do themselves a favor if they keep DSLR line going, even if slimmed down to just a couple of models, for a while longer. They still have a dedicated following heavily invested in this mount, which probably will still be alive and kicking, and refreshing bodies and lenses for another decade or two.

In ML they are just also-runs with no obvious advantage over the competition.

I’m actually curious what would have happened if Nikon were releasing their ML in both F and Z mounts. Same exact models. Would be a nice test of the new mount viability, but then, obviously, they wouldn’t be able to push new expensive lenses on the early adopters.

That's a kind of comment I stumble upon every so often.

According to which, Nikon's future should depend on those users who just want to buy another one or two bodies in the rest of their lives and hang on to those half-century old lenses

I'm not sure that is going to keep Nikon alive for a long time.

Nikon is making the best lenses they ever released, thanks to Z-Mount. With FTZ, you can use everything from AF-S on. Even old AI lenses enjoy a second youth, thanks to live view and focus peaking.

The only ones who were left behind are the AF-D owners. Ouch.

I wouldn't say Nikon didn't to well with their Z cameras. Those who are invested in F mount have a good chance to keep using what they have using the adapter.

As per AF-D lenses owners, that's probably about time they upgrade. Newer lenses are better. And Nikon isn't probably going to stay alive just by selling one or two more bodies to those customers in the next 20 years.

straitouttahell's gear list:straitouttahell's gear list
Nikon D2X Nikon D7100 Sigma 17-70mm F2.8-4 DC Macro OS HSM | C Sigma 30mm F1.4 DC HSM Art Sigma 18-35mm F1.8 DC HSM Art +3 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow