My own P50 Pro, Mate 40 Pro+ and S21 Ultra 10x zoom shootout!

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Booted Cat
Booted Cat Senior Member • Posts: 1,599
My own P50 Pro, Mate 40 Pro+ and S21 Ultra 10x zoom shootout!

On April 2 I tested the S21 Ultra and Mate 40 Pro+ for 10x zoom using the same shooting target (a cocktail can 12 steps away) and 3 different lighting conditions (the can in a box with a small flashlight shining on the can, the can in a box with a big flashlight shining on the inner left corner of the box, and the can exposed in room light without the box and flashlights).

Focus was set on the text "YOGHURT+VODKA FLAVOUR" on the can and the sharpness of this text is the criteria to judge a phone's 10x zoom quality.

Today I went to a Huawei store to test the P50 Pro using the same method above, except that the small flashlight was broken and abandoned a while ago so only the second (the box + the can + the big flashlight) and third (the can alone exposed in room light) lighting conditions were used in today's test.

P50 Pro with AI on

In the April 2 test mentioned above, I turned off AI, HDR and all other enhancements, filters, adjustments, corrections, effects, etc. on each test phone so that the test results would not be affected by these factors. In today's test, however, I forgot to turn off AI on the P50 Pro at first, so I actually performed the whole test twice, once with AI and once again without AI.

P50 Pro, AI on, can + box + big flashlight

P50 Pro, AI on, can alone

P50 Pro with AI off

P50 Pro, AI off, can + box + big flashlight

P50 Pro, AI off, can alone, best low-exposure shot

P50 Pro, AI off, can alone, best high-exposure shot

Then there was a while when the P50 Pro always got overexposed shots. I thought it was the nightfall, so I added a notebook behind the can to provide a bright background:

P50 Pro, AI off, can + notebook, best low-exposure shot

P50 Pro, AI off, can + notebook, best high-exposure shot

Offshoots

Hmmm... There are also some offshoots, not necessarily 10x:

Booted Cat's gear list:Booted Cat's gear list
Nikon Coolpix P1000 Canon PowerShot SX740 HS Nikon Coolpix A1000 +1 more
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow