a6400 or a6600?

Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
OP Kaitlyn Contributing Member • Posts: 526
Re: a6400 or a6600?

Dirk W wrote:

Kaitlyn wrote:

Assuming cost isn't an issue, is the a6600 a worthwhile choice? In a nutshell, does it actually provide BETTER image quality?

1. On one hand bigger size/bigger grip includes everyday usability BUT I am coming from a full-frame DSLR... I want the pocket size. Unless battery life is truly problematic, I'd probably prefer to carry extra batteries vs bigger body? Also, heavier as a result.
  2. I think IBIS would be very welcome but I'm hearing Sony's IBIS implementation is a bit lackluster? Plus I am looking for an "outdoor adventure camera" where either shutter speed is entirely not a problem OR my bigger problem will be subject movement
  3. Is there a possibility the hardware in a6600 allows better performance/improvements over time?

Anything else new the a6600 brings that's a worthwhile consideration?

For me there is one main reason to go for the 6600 over the 6400, and that is that you can pair it with the 16-55 and still have image stabilization. This combo is as good as it can get with an aps-c standard zoom lens system and for my use, that's reason enough.

I upgraded from the 6400 on which I mainly used the 18-135, which is also a fantastic combo, just the sharpness across the entire frame and low light capability is a little better with the 6600/16-55.

I'd probably have to see that in person, because for years my workhorse setup was 5D IV + 24-70 f2.8. Yes, Sony 6600 would give me "similar setup" but this time with stablization... although, f2.8 on crop won't give as much DOF as on full frame...

But the 16-55 weights just as much as the camera it looks like. And a big reason to consider something like these a6000-series cameras is the smaller size AND weight. This would seem to undo all those main appeals... haha

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
dht
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow