The end of the compact camera

Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
tbcass
tbcass Forum Pro • Posts: 51,325
Re: The end of the compact camera

mamallama wrote:

Slimpie1972 wrote:

I have a question for all of you.

Is the compact camera dead or do we think there is a future for this kind of camera?

No. The future has ended for the compact camera as we know them. The reason that most people used compact cameras has been completely swallowed up by smartphones and then some. A few die hards will hang onto them like some hang onto film but for both it’s just a niche future.

Your constant drum beating about the demise of the compact camera is getting tiring. I think there are more "diehards" than you realize, enough to keep them alive for some time to come. You simply don't appreciate what the 1" digital compact brings to the table when compared to a smartphone.

That said:

I think the compact camera has a future as a tool for photographers who find smartphones inadequate for a number of reasons related to ergonomics, sensor size, and lens range. Speaking for myself I'm not interested in greater "intelligence" in cameras because I prefer more control over the final image. AI takes too much of that control away. The user base for smartphones is different and offers them a camera that does all the work for them other than composition. In the end, there is a market for both and I suspect they can exist side by side for the foreseeable future.

-- hide signature --

Tom

tbcass's gear list:tbcass's gear list
Sony RX100 Sony RX10 IV Sony a99 II Tamron SP AF 90mm F/2.8 Di Macro Tamron SP 70-300mm F/4-5.6 Di USD +8 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow