The end of the compact camera

Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
Mark Scott Abeln
Mark Scott Abeln Forum Pro • Posts: 17,695
Re: The end of the compact camera

Fogel70 wrote:

Cameras use software to control the aperture. I suggest to use the aperture control software to simulate the wide open DOF of small sensor smartphone by stopping down the aperture on large sensor smartphone.

Even though I have a modern digital camera, stopping down the aperture on some of my lenses is a direct mechanical linkage controlled by my fingers. For my modern lenses, the aperture control is still mechanical. The iris—metal blades arranged around a circle creating an approximately circular opening—is a still a mechanical action, creating a physical hole of varying sizes.

You don’t simulate the large depth of field of a smartphone in software, you simply stop the iris down to an appropriately tiny opening. The depth of field isn’t simulated, rather it is physically duplicated via optics.

A smartphone, on the other hand, is incapable of duplicating the shallow depth of field of a larger sensor camera, as it lacks needed optical characteristics, and so it can only computational simulate it by estimating the distance of objects in the scene and artificially adding blur proportional to the distance from the nominal point of focus.

Mark Scott Abeln's gear list:Mark Scott Abeln's gear list
Nikon D200 Nikon D7000 Nikon D750 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm F1.8G Nikon AF Nikkor 28mm f/2.8D +4 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow