Back and Front Button Focus with R5

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Stephen Schroeder Junior Member • Posts: 33
Back and Front Button Focus with R5

Is anyone using both back button and shutter button to focus their R5?  I stumbled upon this possibility when trying to photograph terns with my R5 and 100-500 + 1.4x.  My most successful method was to set area focus and use the shutter button.  Using back button is just a bit slower for me and less successful for these quick birds.  I was then surprised to discover that my back button focusing still worked, as long as I held the back button down while pressing the shutter.

So now I have large area as my main focus points, engaged by half pressing the shutter.  Then I have three back buttons set for point expanded, animal eye and spot.

I realize this eliminates one of the benefits of using back button with servo - focus and recompose - but for me it's worth it so far.

Just been experimenting with this for a short time, so I'm not sure I've experienced all the pros and cons.

Interested in hearing from anyone else using something like this.

-- hide signature --

Steve Schroeder

Stephen Schroeder's gear list:Stephen Schroeder's gear list
Canon EOS 7D Canon EOS 6D Canon EOS R5 Canon EF-S 10-22mm F3.5-4.5 USM Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS USM +5 more
Canon EOS R5
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow