Best camera for vintage manual focus lenses?

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
jbase New Member • Posts: 7
Best camera for vintage manual focus lenses?

Hello.

My 46th B-day is coming and I am looking for a camera buying advice. I currently own a Sony A6400 and a Nikon D7000. I bought the A6400 about a year ago to shoot table-top 4K videos (I run a Youtube channel on electronics). Then for some reason I got interested in vintage lenses, watched some Youtube reviews and, like many of us, started collecting them. I have about 30 items at the moment, mostly Soviet, Nikon and some Zeiss.

Since I got these lenses, I figured: apart from my video experience, maybe I should try taking some photos? (funnily, I was never actually interested in photography throughout my life -- but now I am!). But soon I found out that APS-C does not allow using these old lenses to full potential, another thing, the cheapest and best ones are the 50mm's (think Helios 44), yet if you're out for a 35mm of comparable quality, prepare to pay at least $300.

Another thing, I really love the look and feel of DSLRs, however focusing on the D7000 is a hit-or-miss game, 70% of images end up poorly focused. Yes, I love the Sony's focus peaking feature, however the resolution of its EVF is way too low compared to Nikon's optical VF. Also... Having used the A6400 for a year... whenever I grasp it, it still feels like a toy, not a real camera to me.

So, I came up with the features I am absolutely looking for here:

- Focus peaking and focus zooming in the viewfinder

- Better EVF resolution than A6400

- Full-frame

- Nice feel that at least reminds of a DSLR

- Preferably smaller flange distance (for better compatibility with M42 and RF lenses)

Considering all the above, It appears my choice is Sony A7R4 (the only one that has a better VF compared to A6400). But that camera is $3000. Not that I cannot afford it, but it seems a bit absurd to pay that much for a hobby? Provided, I absolutely do not need other "amazing" Sony's features, like fast multi-point AF (actually, it gets "amazing" only with $2500 G-master lenses that I do not plan to buy whatsoever; with kit lens AF is pretty much ordinary).

Am I missing anything here? Doesn't make much sense, but is there a DSLR that has focus peaking in the viewfinder (transparent LCD maybe or projected)?

Thanks for reading.

Nikon D7000 Sony a6400 Sony a7R IV
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow