Sony Alpha 1, SEL 200-600 or Canon R5, RF 100-500

Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
win10-64 Regular Member • Posts: 490
Re: Sony Alpha 1, SEL 200-600 or Canon R5, RF 100-500

The A1 with 200-600mm looks sharper for Swallows than the 100-400mm, probably due to the 100-400 not having enough reach.

Have not seen the RF 100-500mm with Swallows yet to see how it compares.

duncang wrote:

MILC man wrote:

Djehuty wrote:

He said its for video, guess he wants BIF with DOF 8k short videos. Whatever that means.

i don't understand it either... 500mm is too short for bif, f/7.1 is too slow, it's not parfocal so there will be autofocus hunting with video, and oh btw why put it on an r5 that has serious overheating issues with video?

500mm might be too short for BIF for you but FE100-400GM works a treat for me.

And similarly f7.1 might be too slow for you but f8 works fine for me (see images below). Notice narrow the focal plane is. A1 focussing system struggles to keep up with incoming as they get close so you have a bit more chance of sharp eyes with a f8. But your shooting at 1/6400s most of the time too

R5 has about 0.5 to 1 stop advantage over the A1 so f7.1 is no issue and compares with the f6.3 on the 200-600.
No way could I get these swinging a 2.2kg 200-600. Never mind that most of these you couldn't even focus on with the 200-600, they are simply too close.

I wouldn't even consider shooting swallows or any other small fast bird with the 200-600. Before you can even begin to worry about aperture, reach or focus speed you have to be able to keep the bird in the frame.

And both the FE100-400GM and the 100-500L have a clarity about them that the 200-600 just seem to lack - I guess that's what comes with being a 'budget' lens.

Oh and I can re-post that lorikeet bif sequence too if you think swallows don't count as bif. Probably some of the hardest bif but still bif

-- hide signature --

For every house is builded by some man; but He that built all things is God. Jesus answered and said unto him, Verily, verily, I say unto thee, Except a man be born again, he cannot see the kingdom of God. And whosoever was not found written in the book of life was cast into the lake of fire.

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow