AF during video recording

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
JeremieB Senior Member • Posts: 1,119
AF during video recording

I was trying some video with K3iii, with the 150-450 lens, and without thinking I pressed autofocus button: to my surprise the camera did re-focus, while recording video.

Previously I had K70 (but not the 150-450), and I was used to have only the 55-300 PLM having AF usable while recording video. I thought maybe it was the case also with 150-450.

Then I tried also with the DFA 100 macro. I tested it first with my K70, and for sure, it wouldn't AF while recording video. But on K3iii: it did. It also allowed me to change aperture. I then tried with my old Sigma 105 macro DG EX: same thing, AF re-focus and aperture change are possible while recording video. The difference is that when focus goes through the whole range, it's very slow: I think it's on purpose, to decrease a little the sound of the lens focusing (it makes for very nice oof bokeh transition effect too). For sure both AF and aperture change make sounds that you can hear in the video, but at least you can change them and decide on your own if it's a problem or not.

The only thing I saw in reviews (and manual) is that AF during video is usable "with compatible lenses", so I really thought it would be exactly like K70, but in fact it's clearly not. To my knowledge this was not discussed anywhere ? Am I dreaming ? Is this possible with these lenses on other Pentax cameras ?

JeremieB's gear list:JeremieB's gear list
Pentax K-70 Pentax K-3 Mark III Pentax smc FA 50mm F1.4 Pentax smc DA 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 AL Pentax smc D-FA 100mm F2.8 Macro WR +8 more
Pentax K-70
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow