Dry Scan with Epson Fluid Mount Accessory

Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
OP Don Park Regular Member • Posts: 129
Re: Dry Scan with Epson Fluid Mount Accessory

SilverFast-LSI wrote:

It's been a while since I compared the different available filmholder options. I compared the filmholder from Epson, which for the V850 received an upgrade for the height adjustment in comparison to the V750 holders, the Epson fluid mount accessory (without the extra ANR/museum glass but with dry and wet mounting) and the third-party holders from better scanning.com. I used one of our USAF-1951 resolution charts as an aid to find the best resolution. If I remember correctly the Betterscanning holders came out first, although literally en par with the Epson fluid mount holder and wet mounting. The extra tray coming with the Epson fluid mount accessory is really useful when mounting your originals dry or wet. I would like to add I put the chart in the center of the holder only.

I came to the conclusion to go with the Epson fluid mount holder when scanning my 120 or 4x5 film, but only if I used my best lenses and the heavy duty tripod with low ISO during capture and developed in my trusted lab. I guess it's just personal preference because of how the holder handles thanks to the tray. I used to do a lot of wet mounting for Heidelberg drum scanners in my pre SilverFast career, so I'm used to the process. For my regular 35mm and medium format film, I'm completely happy with the film holders that came with the scanner with the height adjusted prior to scanning, although the handling is quite fiddly. Rarely ever have much trouble with the level of focus. - Jan

Hi Jan,

Thanks for your sharing of your real experiences. Now I am scanning 120 slide films and 120 color negative films using SilverFast 8 Ai Studio. After reading Mark Segal's paper, I ordered a Epson Fluid Mount Accessory, and am having difficulties sourcing an ANR glass (5x7 inches size). I am still waiting for response from a couple of ANR glass suppliers.

Regarding focus calibration, I have no idea how to use USAF-1951 resolution target.

Firstly, is that a transparency slide film or reflective medium? I hope it is a film medium.

Secondly, how to interprete or analyze the scanned output? Are there some kind of software program (together with the user manual) provided with the target in order for the buyer to analyze which setting is the best for the sharpest focus?

Thanking in advance for your detailed introduction to the USAF-1951 resolution target,

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow