DoF may not exist...

Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
Greg7579
Greg7579 Forum Pro • Posts: 14,041
Re: If you don't contribute to a discussion you don't need to participate

highdesertmesa wrote:

DMillier wrote:

It's an amazing piece of scenery, like so much in Iceland and this is a decent photo. But how to make a great photo rather just a merely good photo is the question.

I keep staring at this picture and thinking it's marvelous but "how would I make that shot" and I don't really know.There's so much going on, it kind of defies picking a subject and building supporting lines around it. I think it was Michael Reichmann in one of his old video diaries who said something along the lines of "sometimes you just have to stop and and drink it in because there is no way to turn it into the shot you want it to be".

A scene like that is just begging for the GF 250 with and without the 1.4x.

Technically what makes that scene problematic is the main area of the scene is filtered daylight, but there are very bright slices of sun on the far mountains.

I agree!  I was looking at it and wishing I had the 250, which was back in the car a mile away.  That was a two mile walk (one up - one back) to get to that lookout.  I only took the 45-100 on the camera around my neck and a monopod.  But remember, I did very little post on this and there was some haze above that ice.  I have several more that may be better but I just threw this one out to see what Erik had to say about the DOF from front to back that far away.  It all should be in focus but I don't know if it is yet.  Plus, I did shoot some at F8 and even one at F5.6.  I was standing there on a monopod just shooting.  Plus, that shot could have had some camera movement.  The wind was blowing and the monopod helps but is not a tripod.

There are all kinds of variables.

As I have said many times, I shoot at F10 and 11 a lot and I don't really see the diffraction, but I know it is there.  I'm sure Jim and Erik I'm sure would advise that far away shot at F5.6 or 8.  There is a lot of depth (a mile or more) to that scene, but that first ice wall is far away.  The glacier behind it runs a mile up the mountain or more.

-- hide signature --
 Greg7579's gear list:Greg7579's gear list
Leica Q2 Fujifilm GFX 50R Fujifilm GFX 100 Fujifilm GF 32-64mm F4 Fujifilm 120mm F4 Macro +8 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
MOD JimKasson
MOD JimKasson
MOD JimKasson
MOD JimKasson
MOD JimKasson
MOD JimKasson
MOD JimKasson
MOD JimKasson
MOD JimKasson
MOD JimKasson
MOD JimKasson
MOD JimKasson
MOD JimKasson
MOD JimKasson
MOD JimKasson
MOD JimKasson
MOD JimKasson
MOD JimKasson
MOD JimKasson
MOD JimKasson
MOD JimKasson
MOD JimKasson
MOD JimKasson
MOD JimKasson
MOD JimKasson
MOD JimKasson
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow