S5 or S1

Started 3 months ago | Questions thread
Archiver Veteran Member • Posts: 3,719
Re: What Makes Ergonomics - Z5 and S5?

Off The Mark wrote:

Travis Butler wrote:

What puzzles me the most is the people who laud the shooting experience of the Z5, and the ones who say the S5 is bordering on 'too small'. The Z5 was absolutely too big for my hands; the S5 looks like it'll be better because the controls are closer to my fingers' reach zone, but it still seems to be a large and heavy camera. (For reference, the E-M1 Mk II fits my hand pretty comfortably, but is still a little heavy to carry for more than a couple of hours; I use a wrist strap instead of a neck strap.)

I just got an E-M1 MK II about a month or so ago, and it is one of the most enjoyable cameras to use.

As an aside, I always find it funny when people complain about the E-M1 MK II being too big or too heavy.

Which kind of goes to show you what shooting with a Panasonic S-series body does to one. I guess I have become acclimated to the large size of the S bodies and so when i got my E-M1 MK II I thought it was TINY (and it is small if you are using the kit lenses on it like I am).

Sooo... this is a long about way of saying that if you prefer the E-M5 or E-M10 series for SIZE compared to the E-M1 series, then I don't know how well you are going to get along with an S5. Admittedly I only have large lenses on mine (the 24-105 f/4 and a Canon EF 16-35 f/4 L mounted on an MC-21 adapter). But even with my significantly smaller vintage Minolta MD 50mm f/2 the camera is still not nearly as ergonomically friendly as the E-M1 MK II

Moving offtopic, but hey, when does a thread really stay on topic:

The E-M5 felt pretty good at first, but was made much better by adding the grip, and sometimes the battery grip. I much prefer it with the grip, and will get a grip for my Panasonic GX85 when I get around to it.

The S5 is around the same size and weight as the G9, but the grip of the G9 is noticeably larger, fitting into the lower palm better, and is consequently more comfortable for me to hold. I get the sense of squeezing the S5 grip more than the G9.

I, too, put larger lenses on the S5 with the Sigma MC21, including the Sigma 24-105, 18-35, and 35L (worst autofocus ever). The grip will be better with those lenses once I get the battery grip. Just waiting for a third party like Neewer to make a much less expensive version.

Funny that you also use Minolta lenses, as I'm using the MC Rokkor PG 50mm f1.4 and MD W Rokkor 35mm f2.8 on the S5. The flange distance means that the adapter is about an inch long, so what is a fairly compact setup on a Minolta SLR is not with the S5. Because the adapter is light, the camera becomes front heavy even with a 50mm prime. When my Panasonic 50mm f1.8 arrives, I suspect it will feel much better balanced. FWIW, the smaller the lens, the better, and I prefer the handling and feel of rangefinder lenses on the S5. Much thinner adapter, and much smaller lenses. Even the Zeiss Distagon 35 ZM on the S5 feels pretty good.

-- hide signature --

Archiver - Loving Every Image Captured Always
http://www.flickr.com/photos/archiver/

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow