Sony Alpha 1, SEL 200-600 or Canon R5, RF 100-500

Started 4 months ago | Discussions thread
nandbytes Veteran Member • Posts: 6,221
Re: Excellent unbiased comparison video
1

MyDog Is Incharge wrote:

nandbytes wrote:

MyDog Is Incharge wrote:

nandbytes wrote:

MyDog Is Incharge wrote:

You see a lot of bias on the topic. Tony Northrup got flamed by some when he said the R5 AF was better than the A1. But good number of reviewers now have said the same. Personally I shoot a lot of video, an there the AF gap really widens. Sony left animal and bird focus off for video for some unknown reason.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W5c8_7n0yI8

Jan goes does an excellent job here. I find it interesting the due to the focus breathing often there is much less of a difference between 500mm and 600mm, but the difference between 100mm and 200mm is large. IS on the combos also had a big gap between them.

Enjoy the video!

f7.1... f6.3.

1/3rd of a stop difference. My bet is you can't see the difference in the photos.

I'd be curious to see the T-stops, because it could be even closer.

As said f6.3 is already pushing it for me. It was only 1/3rd stop from f5.6 so I took the hit. so really f7.1 is 2/3rd stop difference for me.

Or conversely speaking I used to use 100-400mm+1.4x which was f8. With 200-600mm I get 2/3rd stop more light, with f7.1 I gain only 1/3rd stop.

I can definitely notice 2/3rd stop difference.

But you know the difference is only 1/3rd of a stop right? You seem very confused.

I am not confused at all.

f7.1 simply is too far for me.

Personally I'll take the better AF and better IBIS over 1/3rd of a stop. Oh well. Stay away from slick telemarketers who say you can make money giving them yours.

IBIS with a telephoto lens is inconsequential 90% of the time for me. And the other 10% I don't need more than 2-3 stops which Sony provides.

It doesn't have better AF tracking. It simply has animal eye AF in video and Sony does not. if that's important to you that's fine. I wouldn't class that as "better AF".

As I said its not just a 1/3rd stop, when you are comparing it f5.6 which I am since that's really my limit. f6.3 is "just a 1/3rd stop" and that's already pushing it for me. f7.1 is 2/3rd stops from f5.6 and that's a no go where I live.

Edit:

Just on the IBIS front I am not saying its not useful whatsoever, I'd love to have that 8 stops IBIS so I can 1-2s exposures handheld with wide angle lenses. that's really useful for me.

On telephotos where I am shooting at his shutter speeds more of the time it doesn't help me.

-- hide signature --

Focus on what you have, not on what you don't.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/nandbytes/

 nandbytes's gear list:nandbytes's gear list
Sony a7C Sony a1 Sony FE 200-600 F5.6-6.3 Sony FE 20mm F1.8G Tamron 28-200mm F2.8-5.6 +2 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow