For those who went from Z7 to Z7 II was it worth it?

Started 5 months ago | Discussions thread
stevedigiphoto
OP stevedigiphoto Regular Member • Posts: 477
Re: For those who went from Z7 to Z7 II was it worth it?

sirhawkeye64 wrote:

stevedigiphoto wrote:

For those who went from Z7 to Z7 II was the upgrade worthwhile? AF significantly better, Viewfinder blackout time improved? Overall snappiness of the camera better?

I have the chance to swap for a relatively small cost to change and the SD card slot and Face/Eye AF in wide-area would be very useful as would the USB-C Power option while shooting.

Welcome your thoughts!

While I didn't really gain any optical advantages / advancements with the Z7 II over a Z7, it does give me a bit more peace of mind, with the dual card slots, as I've lost images before due to card failure (in the camera) and I swore that I would never buy a nother high-end body with just a single card slot (of course XQD sort of rebuilt some confidence in a single-card setup, as they are more durable and robust IMHO).

But it still bothered me to only have the single card in the Z6 and Z7, so I upgraded. That and I wanted the vertical grip option.

So was it worth it for me? Yes. If the upgrade cost is less than maybe $500 then go for it. But if it's more, then maybe keep shooting with the Z7 unless you need the vertical grip or USB power. The dual card slot thing isn't as big of a deal since it uses XQD, although for pros I'd still get a dual card system.

The minor improvements in the Z II in terms of AF is nice -- more accurate eye/face AF although it does still hiccup at times and focus on the wrong thing. But again, if the upgrade cost is low, then maybe go for it. But if the upgrade cost is something like say $1000 (after trade), I don't know if you'll gain $1000 worth of improvement.

Thanks those are great thoughts!

stevedigiphoto's gear list:stevedigiphoto's gear list
Leica Q2 Nikon Z7 Nikon Z7 II Nikon Z 35mm F1.8 Nikon Z 24-70mm F2.8 +14 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow