Lensmate Veteran Member • Posts: 6,165
Re: The end of the compact camera

mamallama wrote:

Lensmate wrote:

mamallama wrote:

Lensmate wrote:

Slimpie1972 wrote:

I have a question for all of you.

Is the compact camera dead or do we think there is a future for this kind of camera?

This has been covered so many times:

"Compact cameras are pretty much dead": Open Talk Forum: Digital Photography Review (dpreview.com)

...and then eventually leads into another twilight zone of phones vs cameras scenario...yawn!

-M

Some people want a second or third or ... nth opinion and there are many opinions out there. That one from 2017 is old.

It might be a few years old, but not much has changed opinion wise, other than a flurry of pro phone warriors.

Since the original release of the Sony RX100 back in 2012, Sony has been pushing updates to the camera and releasing one new iteration every year. This means that as of today, we have had a total of 8 such releases. Goes to show good compacts are not dead.

-M

8 releases since 2012 - whopee!!

I have the first iteration and yes, it was a whoopie when I bought the RX100vii because of the extra reach and AF speed. RX100 VII has 90fps bursts and the Sony A9-Level AF performance. That is a big wow factor. Try it sometime, it'll wipe that smirk from your face...

-M

Lensmate's gear list:Lensmate's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-F717 Sony RX100 Sony RX100 VII Sony Alpha DSLR-A100 Sony SLT-A55 +11 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow