Shutter shock on the Z5 at slow shutter speeds?

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
sirhawkeye64 Veteran Member • Posts: 6,431
Shutter shock on the Z5 at slow shutter speeds?

Has anyone experienced shutter shock on their Z5 at slower shutter speeds (maybe below 1/20 or 1/10s?

The scenario is I was shooting with my Z5 + 70-200 Z lens to test a 10-stop ND I just bought...

Had the camera on a tripod inside. VR/IBIS and AF were turned off (although I did use AF to first lock focus on the test subject I was photographing - and then turned it to manual to prevent refocusing/hunting). I was using a wireless remote cable release and also used the 5-second self timer mode to ensure no movement from me pressing any buttons on the camera. I enabled EFCS (shutter speed for this shot was about 1/4 of a second). This exposure was soft across the frame. (And this shot was WITHOUT the filter.)

I continued with my second shot, which involved using the 10-stop ND, and the result from that second shot tack sharp (although it was a 6 minute exposure). Nothing changed in the setup other than the shutter speed (which I calculated so I would get the same exposure/illumination). I again triggered the camera with both the wireless remote and a 5-second delay using EFCS.

Thoughts on this? It's not a DOF issue as the softness is across the frame, even where I focused (and yes I did confirm focus a few times before switching it to manual focus to ensure it did lock).  Also based on the second image, I've ruled out a defective lens.

Is this just an a flaw with the Z5 and shutter shock? I don't recall this happening with my Z7's during testing (although I might try those tonight to see).

sirhawkeye64's gear list:sirhawkeye64's gear list
Nikon Z7 Nikon Z6 II Nikon Z7 II GoPro Hero8 Black Nikon Z 50mm F1.8 +11 more
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow