Lighting Technique and Getting Better

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Ronnie99 Forum Member • Posts: 56
Lighting Technique and Getting Better

Hi everyone,

I've been trying to take a decent studio portrait for the last year or so out of my living room and after this time, I am not really satisfied with my portraits. In the beginning I was hoping to get decent results with one light and a reflector. I have a Godox AD200 and a number of light modifiers (45 cm umbrella, 60cm umbrella, 80 cm beauty dish, 60 cm beauty dish, and a 150cm softbox)

My main inspiration is Irving Penn. Although I realize that I will probably not ever produce images like his, I really love the way he worked with shadows. My favorite part of photographers whose work that I enjoy is how they shape light, and really craft images that look clean, timeless, and the transition from shadows to highlights is just perfect. Richard Avedon is another favorite of mine.

Lately I built two V flats to use for fill and negative fill. I've only tried them out twice but I end up not having may people to take portraits of (my family and son have grown tired of me asking) and because of Covid I haven't had too many people over to practice, so I end up taking self portraits to practice my lighting - but I have to say, my images tend to be quite boring. I started with adding fill last night, as recommended from the Strobist blog, but after bouncing light 1 and a half stops less then my key light, the combination of both lights was overkill. I lowered the power of the key light, and just never got the ratio right. A lot of times I think I'd like to only shoot ambient light, or trade in my flashes for continuous light.

I fall into the trap as well with GAD, looking at the Photek softlighter ii 46" because I read that it works well in small spaces. I have a 8 foot ceiling, and it seems to me that I still have a hard time controlling light and crafting the look that I want. In my living room, I find light spilling everywhere. I think I've had the best results working with a gridded Lencarta Beauty dish, but I would appreciate any advice on how I can improve my technical skills. Thanks for your help.

ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
BAK
BAK
BAK
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow