Big choice to make but confused ideas

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
NicolaSalvi New Member • Posts: 14
Big choice to make but confused ideas

Hello everyone, this is my first thread so since I am trying to acquire informations that can direct me towards the best choice for me, I ask you to please explain things in the most exaustive way available.

So here's my story into the world of photography: my dad always had a great passion for photography and still he is very good at shooting even at an age of 74. He is no professional (i.e. does not make his living wage from it) but people ask him to take shoots of weddings or their shops to put photos on the internet, ad by itself he prefers to shoot landscapes and portraits. He uses a Nikon D800, which I think is still superb in 2021, especially if you have a very good and deep lens cabinet, which he has. And then there is me: I had a great passion for photography since I was 12 years old, and back then I was gifted a compact Nikon coolpix camera which I took everywhere in those days and which I still use today, 8 years later. And that is the big problem: I never upgraded. My phone camera is no way better than my tiny Coolpix, but I would like to own a first serious camera with which I could expand my possibilities. I mean, I know how to regulate most of the parametres (with a little more sttudy I could regolate all of them), I can distinguish very well a photo taken with a lens or with another one and I could pick the right lens for the situation (which I do when I help my dad in his trips), but I wouldn't know how to make the upgrade I need.

I don't know if the right choice for me could be a point-and-shoot camera for pros, or for the same pricetag an entry-level aspc-c or mft mirrorless, or even an used old maybe full-frame DSLR , all keeping in mind that it would be better for me to spend less than 1000$. I mean, I find the Fujifilm X-S10 to be very good for me maybe, but then I google for a while on the internet and I find an used Nikon D7500 at the same (if not lower) pricetag, so what should I do then? And this also applies when considering pro compact cameras, like a Sony RX100 Mark VII, which has the same (if not even higher) pricetag than used Nikon D7500 or used Canon 5D Mark III, and it would be crazy for me to think to buy the Sony option. As I say in the title of this thread, my ideas are very much confused, because my dad wouldn't borrow me his D800 (and he is rigth) to learn how to use a reflex properly but at the same time I can shoot miracles with a Nikon Coolpix from 8 years ago and I don't know what more serious camera I could buy.

Just to help you with the answers, I mainly like to shoot landscapes and macros in my spare time (it's like Hell and Heaven, I know, but that's who I am); I seldom do portraits (not my kind of photo) and I would never shoot at weddings (like NEVER), but what I really like is to make beautiful shoots when I travel alone or with my friends, like at night with high ISO (for example fireworks on New Years' Eve) or on the daylight when we visit a stadium or a mountain or a city, so that I can print those photos for me and my friends to remember the trip, a thing I can do with my coolpix but only if it's God to make the photo instead of me (sometimes it happened though). As an example: I went to Thira (Santorini) last week and I brought with me my tiny coolpix and my mid-range smartphone. For me that I can use the coolpix, of course I mainly shot with it, and I got good shoots also, especially in daylight or at the sunset, but at night and/or with high ISO it has been impossible fro me to get a good photo with not so much noise that I could print and I really wish I had had a better camera to do it, but one month ago I wouldn't have known what camera to buy to take with me.

Thank you in advance for the answers.

ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow