D850 Replacement or end of the DSLR line for Nikon?

Started 8 months ago | Discussions thread
ericbowles
ericbowles Senior Member • Posts: 1,607
Re: D850 Replacement or end of the DSLR line for Nikon?

PK24X36NOW wrote:

ericbowles wrote:

If you really see a high quality action camera in mirrorless with a fast readout, there is little reason to stay with a DSLR other than using AF-D lenses.

There's plenty of "reason." An OVF will always be "real time," and an EVF will never be "real time." DSLR battery life will always be better, and the less I have to worry about making sure the battery is charged, the better.

Not to mention that the EVF is an electronic part with a short path to obsolescence as the camera ages (as in, the new models will have different and likely incompatible EVF "parts"). While sensors will last quite a long time because they're only used when actually shooting, an EVF is used continuously every time you're looking through the viewfinder. That means heat buildup which is the enemy of electronics. When that EVF display goes belly up, and the "replacement parts" are no longer available, you potentially have a useless camera unless you like "cell phone style" shooting.

Some of us just don't want a mirrorless downgrade, OK? And "other than" using AF-D lenses is akin to saying "other than" using every lens (or damn near every lens) you have for many. So yes, that by itself is plenty of reason to stay with DSLRs.

An OVF will be real time, but you still have shutter lag and reaction time.  A response of less than 40 milliseconds would be exceptional, and most people are closer to 50ms.  With an EVF readout added to that time, it becomes very close.   The problem today is readout - and you'll see a 50-70% reduction in readout time with the dual pixel sensor of the Z9.  At that point EVF lag is less than 15% of the total delay.

Just to be clear - you can break an OVF just as easily as an EVF.  I've done it.  The problem areas are the screens that overly the OVF - for focus and for display.  I've had impact damage dislodge the focus screen and display module so I could not see anything more than out of focus shapes through the viewfinder.

There is virtually no heat generated by the EVF.  You don't feel it to the touch and it does not show up on thermal imaging.

All gear has risks of parts availability.  Focus motors, VR motors, main boards, and functional obsolescence are all issues.  I don't expect to be using a 10-12 year old DSLR outside of being a novelty.  Even if you could find the parts, the camera repair of an old DSLR is probably not going to be economically viable.

-- hide signature --
 ericbowles's gear list:ericbowles's gear list
Nikon 1 V1 Nikon Z6 Nikon Z50 Nikon Z7 II Nikon AF-S Nikkor 300mm f/4D ED-IF +25 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
NCB
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow