Lack of focus bracketing in Sony is getting noticed..

Started 5 months ago | Discussions thread
SQLGuy
SQLGuy Forum Pro • Posts: 11,110
Re: You need some time to understand any complex menus

Magnar W wrote:

lattesweden wrote:

Step 1 is hiring an UI-Expert to help organize the menus.

My guess is that the philosophy is that the menus are meant for setting up the camera properly, not for daily use. With My menu there is a shortcut for items you use often, and that can not pe placed elsewhere, like the Format command.

When looking at the "old" menu structure, the items are collected in groups, making orientation pretty good. Of cause, a more visual approach would have make orientation easier, but how often do users need to access the menu items?

When I am looking at, say Nikon menus, they seems like a mess until I have spent some time to be familiar with the terms and placement of the items. Better? Worse? I don't know. But you need to spend some time to be familiar with any complex menu system.

I agree with most of this, but I am disappointed that Sony didn't take a more modern, open, approach to their E mount camera lines.

They could have provided SDKs for apps and menus and developed a pretty good ecosystem around software for the cameras. It works for computers, tablets, and phones. We can speculate all day about why they decided not to do it for cameras, but I'd really like to have some inside information on that. It's probably because they didn't want to give up the leverage that could push people to upgrade for software features, but most of the ILCEs have had worthwhile hardware improvements from generation to generation, so, IMO, that's a crutch they didn't really need to cling to.

-- hide signature --

A7R2 with SEL2470Z and a number of adapted lenses (Canon FD, Minolta AF, Canon EF, Leica, Nikon...); A7R converted to IR.

SQLGuy's gear list:SQLGuy's gear list
Canon PowerShot G9 Canon PowerShot S100 (2000) Canon EOS-1D Canon EOS 5D Fujifilm FinePix S5 Pro +33 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow