The end of the compact camera

Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
Fogel70
Fogel70 Senior Member • Posts: 1,511
Re: The end of the compact camera

Slimpie1972 wrote:

I have a question for all of you.

Is the compact camera dead or do we think there is a future for this kind of camera?

I haven't seen any compact camera released in the past year and longer. What is your opinion.

I would like to see the camera industrie make a compact camera that outperforms the performance of a smartphone, but with the inteligence of the smartphone. A compact camera has more room for better optics and a larger sensor so it should not be difficult to produce a compact camera that outperforms a smartphone if we put the intelegence of a smartphone in the camera.

This will not happen anytime soon unless a smartphone manufacturer enter the camera market. But it is highly unlikely as the camera market is too small for them.

But a smartphone like Sanyo Aquos R6 with a 1" sensor may be the start of this.

Camera manufacturer do not have the infrastructure or resources to compete with smartphone manufacturers. They would also need a lot higher margins on products like this because of the much lower volume on cameras vs smartphones.

Most of the tech developed for smartphone cameras is designed to solve the disavantage od smaller sensors and is often developed on sensor level. So using a much larger sensor may not give the same possibilities.

The question that remains is: what do we think is "compact"?

I would say something like a sony rx100 would be compact.

Fogel70's gear list:Fogel70's gear list
Samsung GX-10 Pentax K-7 Sony Alpha NEX-7 Sony a7 Pentax K-3 II +25 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow