The end of the compact camera

Started 5 months ago | Discussions thread
Ed B
Ed B Forum Pro • Posts: 11,623
Re: The end of the compact camera

Slimpie1972 wrote:

I have a question for all of you.

Is the compact camera dead or do we think there is a future for this kind of camera?

I haven't seen any compact camera released in the past year and longer. What is your opinion.

I would like to see the camera industrie make a compact camera that outperforms the performance of a smartphone, but with the inteligence of the smartphone. A compact camera has more room for better optics and a larger sensor so it should not be difficult to produce a compact camera that outperforms a smartphone if we put the intelegence of a smartphone in the camera.

The question that remains is: what do we think is "compact"?

I would say something like a sony rx100 would be compact.

Because this is a digital camera equipment forum let's get our terminology straight.

You're talking about a small camera that has a small sensor which does fall into the compact camera category but doesn't include several of the large sensor fixed lens cameras that are also classified as compacts.

I'll agree that the "need" for many of the small sensor cameras has been replaced by the cell phone. I'll also agree that many of the people who bought (buy) these type cameras would be perfectly satisfied with a cell phone and that a cell phone does provide good images with almost no effort or knowledge of photography.

Just the same there are several "compact" cameras that are supremely better than a cell phone when it comes to anything  more than casual snapshots.

Cameras like the Leica Q series, the Sony RX1 series, Fuji X100 series and the Ricoh GR series are all compact cameras that are "better" than any cell phone.

There are also several smaller sensor cameras like the Sony RX10 series, and the Panasonic FZ series that fall into the compact category that people who like long zoom lenses would chose over a cell phone.

There's also the intangible things about a proper camera that most people who love photography don't want to give up with a cell phone.

Everything in this world changes but I think it'll be a long time before compact cameras are completely replaced by cell phones.

Naturally, I could be wrong.

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow