The end of the compact camera

Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
Mark Scott Abeln
Mark Scott Abeln Forum Pro • Posts: 17,685
Re: The end of the compact camera

Slimpie1972 wrote:

Is the compact camera dead or do we think there is a future for this kind of camera?

Not dead. It has a future.

I haven't seen any compact camera released in the past year and longer. What is your opinion.

I've seen one released in early 2020, and there were a number released in 2019.

In case you haven't heard, there is a world-wide epidemic that apparently got its start in late 2019 in China, and which is still going on. Besides dead bodies being piled up in the streets in some places, this has led to severe shortages of production and product development.

I would like to see the camera industrie make a compact camera that outperforms the performance of a smartphone, but with the inteligence of the smartphone. A compact camera has more room for better optics and a larger sensor so it should not be difficult to produce a compact camera that outperforms a smartphone if we put the intelegence of a smartphone in the camera.

Putting intelligence in a camera takes special skillsets, and requires access to open source code libraries for image processing—if you want the final product to be affordable. Unfortunately, this requires an advanced operating system to run on the phone, such as Linux or its Android derivative. Photography has already become extremely complicated with the introduction of digital technology, and many photographers already resent the excessive intrusion of computer stuff in their art, and so there has been a counter-trend of "pure" or at least retro-looking cameras with simple direct controls and excellent out-of-camera JPEGs.

The question that remains is: what do we think is "compact"?

I would say something like a sony rx100 would be compact.

Dpreview thinks that these cameras are compact:

https://www.dpreview.com/reviews/buying-guide-best-fixed-prime-lens-cameras

https://www.dpreview.com/reviews/buying-guide-best-compact-zoom-cameras

Mark Scott Abeln's gear list:Mark Scott Abeln's gear list
Nikon D200 Nikon D7000 Nikon D750 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm F1.8G Nikon AF Nikkor 28mm f/2.8D +4 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow