Leica Elmar 180/4 slight play in aperture ring

Started 2 months ago | Questions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Becksvart
Becksvart Contributing Member • Posts: 814
Leica Elmar 180/4 slight play in aperture ring

Hi

I've just taken delivery of a specimen from -78 and it looks to be in very good condition, including the focus ring and cosmetics. (Adapter hasn't arrived so no test of alignment and performance yet). This for less than 200e from a seller with good feedback on ebay. It came well packaged. There's just this one thing that I was curious about (since I have no other Leica lens of any sort):

The aperture ring has a slight play to it, if you gently shake the lens it clicks/rattles just a little and if you touch it it moves just a little. It's noticable (because the rest of the lens seems tight) but not disturbing..unless, and this is where my query lies:

If this portends worse things for the aperture/ring? I don't know if these Elmars tend to have a little loose aperture rings or not. The aperture mechanism works as intended if I move it back and forth and if I hold the aperture lever open and then release it it snaps closed/ to the given aperture.

Thanks for any enlightenment : )

Edit. I made a short video (with audio, may need to be turned up in order to hear the slight noise trying gently to move the slightly loose aperture ring).

https://1drv.ms/v/s!AlCoUQ0jvInBgZpLSvd4-XkIbgaKKw?e=hmhVVH

Normal and acceptable?

ANSWER:
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow