Infinity focus on dSLR similar to Action Cameras?

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Niber Junior Member • Posts: 25
Infinity focus on dSLR similar to Action Cameras?

The most common issue I have when coming home after a day of taking videos and/or timelapses is finding that my clips have unexpecting auto-focusing issues.

So I was very happily surprised when I bought an action-camera and found that those don't have any focus ability, they are just set to always-infinity.

So for example on my action camera 'Insta360 R 1-inch edition', it comes with a simple rule: Just make sure your subject is beyond 50cm from the camera, and you're good to go!

Very inspired by this method, I've been considering if I can and/or should use a similar workflow with my dSLR (Sony A7C), but my question is:

1) If I set my A7C (with 17mm 2.8 lense) to infinity-focus, what would be the minimum focus distance? When I set the manual focus, before it goes to the infinity symbol it briefly shows "53m". Although the 2m to 53m range is very very brief, Could it be that if I use infinity focus, and my subject is a safe 5m from the camera, it might still be every so slightly out of focus, since the last step before infinity was 53m which is well above the 5m.

2) I read somewhere that you should never use infinity-focus on a dSLR, because the camera/lenses are usually designed to focus "beyond infinity" if you put them to max, something to do with allowing the user to compensate for various extreme temperature situation where the normal "infinity focus" might not be quite far enough. Is this true?

3) Is there any quick way to toggle infinity-focus, rather than having to go into manual and turn the lense all the way to infinity? I feel like my workflow would go 50/50 between auto-focus (for example if I want to capture a face with bokeh background) and infinity-focus when I want to just put my cam on a tripod to capture for example a beach, without having to find that 28 seconds into the clip the camera started making slight autofocus back and forth.

ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow