Shots from Yesterday - The Glaciers of SE Iceland

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Greg7579
Greg7579 Forum Pro • Posts: 14,041
Shots from Yesterday - The Glaciers of SE Iceland

We drove East from Hofn to the first tounge of glacier licking down to the Ring Road from the mighty Vatnajokull. Ut is called Hoffellsjokull Glacier and we drove on a long rough dirt track to get near the base of it. Then we drove through a dense fog bank for an hour and finally broke out of the fog at the famous Glacier Lagoon and Diamond Beach. We were lucky. Los of ice and thick clouds but some blue sky. I shot like a madman. Diamond Beach, where the ice chunks broken off the icebergs in the Glacier Lagoon often sit on the black sand as they wash out to sea, was a bit foggy. But we were lucky. There was lots of ice on the beach. Sometimes there is none.

I need to get home for good post. These are challenging shots with the black sand and lava and white blueish glaciers and icebergs. Need some careful post but these are OK for new. Not much post processing.

Two sets - the second post will have more of the lagoon.

I used five lenses on this set - 23, 30, 100-200, 250 and again mostly the wonderful 45-100.

As we drove towards the Hoffellsjokul glacier - still 4 k away. Rough going on a rough gravel track.

We stood on a lip and looked down in the glacier after a risky drive in my rental car to get to it

The glacier drains into the lagoon as it melts

Driving into the glacier face - looking off to the East

Why not some IR? You need some IR in your diet!

Driving back to the Ring Road from the Glacier - passed this awesome scene

Looking back towards that glacier from the Ring Road - See it in the distance.

The next glacier over - Flaajokul - Took this from the Ring Road.

First shot of the Lagoon. Amazing sight

Diamond Beach. The Ocean is right behind the ice chunks and they sit on black sand

-- hide signature --
 Greg7579's gear list:Greg7579's gear list
Leica Q2 Fujifilm GFX 50R Fujifilm GFX 100 Fujifilm GF 32-64mm F4 Fujifilm 120mm F4 Macro +8 more
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow