Started 3 months ago | Questions thread
Jon_T
Jon_T Veteran Member • Posts: 5,513
Re: help me decide on Panasonic LUMIX DMC-FZ70

bridge77 wrote:

<SNIP>

thanks Jon, ...

You're welcome.

i note in your extensive gear list some experience with these issues. the sx50 is intersting, in the space of a year of less it's value has doubled. the sx40 has done about the same, so i went with the sx30 instead and found that the bridge camera works quite well for me most of the time.

>>>The best longest-zooming cameras of 2014

excellent article. interesting how the sx50 beat out the sx60, that should have never happened. ....

Real quite simple -- pixel size.

The 1/2.3" sensor area size is only 6.17mm x 4.55mm (28.07 sq. mm)

With more pixels , the pixel area size is smaller resulting in higher image noise at the same ISO settings.

The SX50 HS 12 MP pixel area is 2.34µm2; vs the SX60 HS pixel area size of 1.98µm2. The SX50 HS pixels have a 18% larger pixel area.

... maybe they fixed that in the sx70, come on canon....

Possibly better than the SX60 at base ISO. Still the same small 1/2.3" sensor size that higher pixel density requires pixels with smaller surface area.

I give Kudos to Nikon staying with 16 MP sensor with their current Coolpix super-zoom bridge-type cameras.

Just keep in mind that all the small super-zoom bridge-type cameras with 1/2.3" sensor have small max apertures at the tele-focal lengths are going to NEED good daylight to use lower ISO's and be able to use fast enough shutter speeds.

Cheers,
Jon

Jon_T's gear list:Jon_T's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200 Canon PowerShot G15 Canon PowerShot SX50 HS Canon PowerShot S110 Leica C +16 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow