Is auto ISO fixed with fill flash?

Started 3 months ago | Questions thread
dbm61 Regular Member • Posts: 213
Re: Is auto ISO fixed with fill flash?

Jigal wrote:

Currently I'm mainly shooting pups in our living room using a bounce flash. I set the A6400 in P mode, the Godox TT685s to TTL and noticed that the photos were quite dark. Exposure compensation on both the flash and the camera didn't make any difference. The histograms showed that non of the graphs (white, red, green, blue) got further to the right than about two thirds of the way.

Suddenly I noticed that all images had an ISO value of 200. I had set the auto ISO range to 100-400. Tonight I experimented a bit and each time the ISO was set to half the maximum value of that range (for all photos). I didn't change the lower limit, so maybe it sets a value half way between maximum and minimum.

I couldn't find anything in a manual about this but I'm really surprised by this. I kind of expected the camera to select the lowest possible ISO setting in the range that the light provided by the flash would allow.

Is this the behaviour of the camera? Or is it influenced by this particular flash? (Should I look for the HVL-F60RM?)

Are there settings to make it automatically select a value inside the range?

Auto ISO and TTL are counter-intuitive. Auto ISO will try and boost the exposure  before the flash even fires. Then TTL tries to sense the needed flash to fill in the rest. And bouncing a flash loses power. So you're using the worse possible scenario for the flash.

Try setting the ISO fixed to be either 100 or 640 (Sorry, I don't know where the dual ISO kicks in on the A6400 for sure, but it's probably 640). Then use TTL and see where the exposure ends up. If bouncing still underexposes, increase the flash compensation to get the exposure you're looking for.

dbm61's gear list:dbm61's gear list
Sony a9 Sony FE 24-105mm F4 Sony FE 200-600 F5.6-6.3 Tamron 70-180mm F2.8 Di III VXD Sony FE 20mm F1.8G +9 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow