How to have my photography appreciated, or mean something?

Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
gary0319
gary0319 Veteran Member • Posts: 8,758
Advice from a “careerist”

When I was first really getting into photography. I met a person who was a “careerist”, meaning she helped  people turn their natural interest into careers. The first thing she admonished was to be appreciated, you first have to be noticed. In my case this meant entering juried photographic exhibits. It scared the cr@p out of me! But she was insistent, and so I did, always fearing the rejection.

However, I soon started garnering ribbons and even some prize money….and became known for some of my work. I was than offered to submit to a regional glossy magazine and after some success, was informed that the magazine would pay more if I could write the article that went with the images…. and I found I really enjoyed the writing.

At any rate. I’ll give some of the same advice.

Find a venue that allows you to be compared to others. I belong to the Florida Camera Club Association and they have tri-annual photo competitions for both digital and print.

And finally, the best advice from the careerist….. never, ever, ever, submit anything but your absolute best work. If you even question it, throw. It away.

Good luck.

gary0319's gear list:gary0319's gear list
Olympus PEN-F Olympus E-M5 III Olympus E-M1 III Olympus OM-D E-M10 IV Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm F4-5.6 R +9 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
tex
MOD Smaug01
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow