a6400 or a6600?

Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
OP Kaitlyn Contributing Member • Posts: 529
Re: a6400 or a6600?

Dick Barbour wrote:

Kaitlyn wrote:

Assuming cost isn't an issue, is the a6600 a worthwhile choice? In a nutshell, does it actually provide BETTER image quality?

1. On one hand bigger size/bigger grip includes everyday usability BUT I am coming from a full-frame DSLR... I want the pocket size. Unless battery life is truly problematic, I'd probably prefer to carry extra batteries vs bigger body? Also, heavier as a result.
  2. I think IBIS would be very welcome but I'm hearing Sony's IBIS implementation is a bit lackluster? Plus I am looking for an "outdoor adventure camera" where either shutter speed is entirely not a problem OR my bigger problem will be subject movement
  3. Is there a possibility the hardware in a6600 allows better performance/improvements over time?

Anything else new the a6600 brings that's a worthwhile consideration?

When i went to Sony APS-C I got the a6400 and 18-135 as a complement to my RX10iv. It wasn't bad, but not that much better than the RX10iv in its range. I sent them back and got the a6600 and 16-55 G, and now I really felt like I had a quality system. I later added the 70-350 and with the 10-18, so I have a nice set of focal lengths covered.

You seem to know all of the feature upgrades of the a6600 over the a6400 so I won't repeat those, but I can only say that I'm completely satisfied with the a6600 and am glad I ended up with it. I have in past years gone through Canon APS-C and FF, Sony FF, Fuji X, and m43, and none of those made me smile like the a6600 and the quality Sony E lenses do.

Not sure this helps, nothing like a nice subjective set of reasons!

Dick

Hmmmm

It wasn't bad, but not that much better than the RX10iv in its range. I sent them back and got the a6600 and 16-55 G, and now I really felt like I had a quality system.

Why didn't you just get the 16-55 G in first place? I don't see how the difference in a6400 vs a6600 is "quality system" vs "not much better than RX10iv". Unless I'm mistaken, a6400 vs a6600 image quality is IDENTICAL?

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
dht
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow