Another drive dock question: “compatibility” with greater than 3 TB drives

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Billiam29 Senior Member • Posts: 2,058
Another drive dock question: “compatibility” with greater than 3 TB drives

I came across an issue mentioned in user reviews of two different docks I was looking at. Excerpts from both are quoted below. Is anybody aware of an independent resource that explains this particular concern? I’m posting this not only to find such an explanation but also to raise awareness of this potential issue for anyone that’s looking into a dock for creating backups.

One of my issues was the the dock was not recognizing drives formatted by a Sabrent dock I also have. This turned out to be because the Plugable dock supports Advance Formatting for 3TB+ drives whereas many other docks support sector emulation. While Plugable has chosen a more standard way, there is still a population of existing docks that do not do this. It turned out that the Sabrent dock had a firmware update to fix this.

[-]

A lot of other enclosures will let you format 3tb ^ drives as gpt while in the enclosure but then you can't put the drive directly into a windows machine and have it work due to the file structure block size. Same thing if you format in windows then try to pop it in an enclosure. This one works flawlessly without those problems.

[-]

I’ll admit that the explanation is at least somewhat self-evident from what’s stated in the quotes. However, I’m not really comfortable basing decisions about the products I use for backups on assumptions I might make from user reviews I see on retail sites.

ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow