FTZ adapters other than Nikon's?

Started 10 months ago | Discussions thread
Kharan
Kharan Senior Member • Posts: 2,265
Re: FTZ adapters other than Nikon's?

briantilley wrote:

Kharan wrote:

Indeed, it works with all Sony A-mount lenses, and most Minolta ones too. Some people love to spout nonsense, however.

If you check the official Sony LA-EA5 compatibility table, you'll find that many Konica-Minolta lenses have several limitations on an A7R4:

• Outside the A (Aperture priority), S (Shutter priority), and M (Manual) modes, the shutter speed and the aperture can not be adjusted during the movie recording.
  • The [Lens Comp] (Lens Compensation) function does not work.
  • Depending on shooting conditions, the brightness of the picture may not be even.Set the [Front Curtain Shutter] function to [Off].
  • If you attach the [A-mount lens] using the Mount Adaptor, MF assist function does not work automatically when you turn the focus ring. You can enlarge the image by selecting [Focus Magnifier] function or [MF Assist] function to any key in the "Custom Key Settings".
  • Shake compensation is available with 3-axis(Pitch/Yaw/Roll) by SteadyShot INSIDE.
  • To use auto focus, the system software must be upgraded to Ver. 1.20 or later.
  • Although you can perform auto focusing, it is sometimes difficult to focus on a subject using this function when you are shooting dark scenes or when a subject is located at the corners of the screen or is significantly out of focus.
  • When you perform continuous shooting in the Hi+, Hi, or Mid mode while the focus mode is set to AF-C, the focus does not track a subject. To enable AF continuous shooting by setting continuous shooting to Hi+, Hi, or Mid mode, the system software must be upgraded to Ver. 1.20 or later.
  • When you perform continuous shooting in the Hi+, Hi, or Mid mode while the focus mode is set to AF-C, the speed of continuous shooting can be slower

Extracted from:

http://support.d-imaging.sony.co.jp/www/cscs/accessories/compatibility.php?area=eu&lang=en&mdl=ILCE-7RM4&cat=7

Most other Sony bodies have even more restrictions (e.g. no AF).

It has limitations, but it works with all Sony A-mount lenses, and most Minolta ones. That's the main thrust. If we got an FTZ-D from Nikon with the same limitations as the LA-EA5, I'd be a happy camper and consider the need fulfilled.

Let me repeat: the LA-EA5 is compatible with every single Sony A-mount lens ever made, with all of the functionality that those were designed to have (i.e. screwdrive lenses can't AF during video, because film cameras were notoriously bad for filming, and thus it wasn't a concern).

-- hide signature --

"Chase the light around the world
I want to look at life
In the available light" - Rush, 'Available Light'

Kharan's gear list:Kharan's gear list
Pentax Q Olympus PEN E-P3 Olympus OM-D E-M10 Nikon Z7 Canon EOS RP +24 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
NCB
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow