DoF may not exist...

Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
Greg7579
Greg7579 Forum Pro • Posts: 14,041
Re: Done and dusted

JimKasson wrote:

Greg7579 wrote:

JimKasson wrote:

You asked -- a long time ago, not just today. I answered. I did a fair amount of work to verify my answer (which, by the way, works for the a7RIV, too). I asked you to see if you agree with my answer. You haven't done that. The ball is in your court.

If it works for the alphasevenarefour then I am suspicious because that camera is a smaller format that we used to call Full-Frame that has a lot more DOF than the GFX. 😁

Greg, you are quick to disparage the conclusions about the GFX of those that don't shoot the GFX. Yet, you have the temerity to opine with superlative certainty about the a7RIV, which I believe you have never used. Have you used the a7RIV in secret?

I have both GFX 100x cameras and an a7RIV. When you do the kind of examination of the image at 1:1 that you're talking about, the size of the sensor doesn't matter. In both the case of the a7RIV and thew GFX 100x, the vast majority of the pixels in the image will be off the screen, and won't influence what you're seeing. What will influence what you're seeing as to sharpness vs focal plane distance is the pitch of the sensor -- which is the same for all three cameras, the size of the microlenses -- which is the same for all three cameras, the lens, the aperture, the subject distance, and where the lens is focused.

Take the same lens, set it to an f-stop, focus it at a certain distance, aim it at a subject, take the picture, develop it, and pixel peep at 100% magnification. You'll see the same sharpness vs distance for both the a7RIV and the GFX 100x. So the same CoC diameter is appropriate for prior knowledge of the visual DOF.

Why is this so hard to understand?

Jim

You are right about that alphasevenarefour bit. I haven't shot it.  I have shot the Q2 and Canon FF DSLRs for years.  And of coursecI shot Fuji X a bazillion times with every lens they made but the 200.

t it.  --
Greg Johnson, San Antonio, Texas
https://www.flickr.com/photos/139148982@N02/albums

Greg7579's gear list:Greg7579's gear list
Leica Q2 Fujifilm GFX 50R Fujifilm GFX 100 Fujifilm GF 32-64mm F4 Fujifilm 120mm F4 Macro +8 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
MOD JimKasson
MOD JimKasson
MOD JimKasson
MOD JimKasson
MOD JimKasson
MOD JimKasson
MOD JimKasson
MOD JimKasson
MOD JimKasson
MOD JimKasson
MOD JimKasson
MOD JimKasson
MOD JimKasson
MOD JimKasson
MOD JimKasson
MOD JimKasson
MOD JimKasson
MOD JimKasson
MOD JimKasson
MOD JimKasson
MOD JimKasson
MOD JimKasson
MOD JimKasson
MOD JimKasson
MOD JimKasson
MOD JimKasson
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow