Considering Z7ii for landscape....but

Started 2 months ago | Questions thread
Ernie Misner
Ernie Misner Veteran Member • Posts: 8,002
Re: Considering Z7ii for landscape....but

Rico Schiekel wrote:

goactive wrote:

Get the Z6 the 7 is not needed you can still crop in a lot and make any large prints you want and not have to deal with all the large files and slower editing.

I have to disagree here, I always choose my Z7 over my Z6 for any kind of landscape work (and almost any other work as well except low light).

Cropping a 24mp image from the Z6 is for me not a option but cropping a 46mp from the Z7 works exceptionally well in most cases.

I also love the base IS0 64 of the Z7. That, the nice resolution and the great dynamic range make it the choice for landscape in my opinion.

Very well said on all points Rico! I have the Z6 and Z7II both, and really miss ISO 64 on the Z6 when shooting longish exposures on creeks, rivers, and waterfalls, or when doing long exposures with an ND filter in general. For all of the above reasons I almost always grab the Z7II rather than the Z6.

I loved the high res sensors on my D800 and D810, then missed those sensors when I went to the Z6. Problem totally solved now with the Z7II. The Z6 is a very sweet camera but mine doesn't get much use.

Also with a halfway decent computer those 46mp files are not a big deal to work with. I don't have any issues but I agree that the files from a Z6 are less demanding on the hardware.

I guess this is a very personal choice based on your own requirements and expectations.

-- hide signature --

Ernie Misner
http://www.flickr.com/photos/erniemisner/
"Creativity can be learned and practiced, and most importantly it's absolutely possible to devise the circumstances in which you're able to be the most creative. You don't have to be born with it , and although upbringing, life experience, and your attitude do have an influence on how open a mind is to being curious about new possibilities and to solving problems in new ways." - Justin Black

Ernie Misner's gear list:Ernie Misner's gear list
Nikon Z6 Nikon Z7 II Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm F1.4G Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm F4G ED VR +5 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
MOD TOF guy
NCB
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow