Just pulled the trigger on M6II + 32 f1.4

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
nnowak Veteran Member • Posts: 7,737
Re: Just pulled the trigger on M6II + 32 f1.4

Mongrel wrote:

thunder storm wrote:

MAC wrote:

I may also eventually get a 56

I did some shooting with both the RF 85mm f/2.0 IS stm and the sigma 56mm f/1.4 today.

Some observations:

The sigma needs a bit faster shutterspeeds compared to the RF 85mm f/2.0 IS stm (1/200th or so).

The sigma - although being an unstabilized prime - seams to suffer a bit from shutter shock. 1/100th is a too long shutterspeed anyway, but using full mechanical at this shutter speed gives noticeable worse results compared to electronic shutter at 1/100th.

The RF 85mm f/2.0 at f/2.2 gives has less problems with the 45Mp R5 than the sigma at f/1.4 (= f/2.2 equivalence) with the 32Mp M6II wide open.

Conclusion: both the RF 85mm f/2.0 IS stm and the ef-m 32mm f/1.4 are better lenses for both sharpness and low light.

The sigma 56mm is a good lens, compact and affordable and it can free up your RP from the 85mm f/2.0 IS stm for something else, however, it's not the best option for low light and the RF 85mm is better.

Honest question, and perhaps coming from a place of complete ignorance…

But how does “shutter shock” effect one lens more than another (barring IS)?

The mass of the lens and construction style have a big impact.

and…

How is 1/100th “too long” of a shutter speed for 56mm lens, when as a rule of thumb, shutter speed should equal focal length (generally speaking) for best results hand holding?

That "rule of thumb" was for full frame.  Furthermore, it was based on comparatively low resolution film photography.  At a minimum, you should be multiplying by the crop factor for minimum shutter speed, but high pixel density sensors require even higher speeds for critical sharpness.

Or is this in reference only to the M6-2 being sensitive as a body to shutter shock?

Nope, pixel density.

Just not sure how shutter shock is impacted by the lens? Weight maybe?

Yes, among other factors.

Like I said…I am willing to confess being a little number than the average dog on the issue…lol.

thanks

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
MAC
MAC
MAC
MAC
MAC
MAC
MAC
MAC
MAC
MAC
MAC
MAC
MAC
MAC
MAC
MAC
MAC
MAC
MAC
MAC
MAC
MAC
MAC
MAC
MAC
MAC
MAC
MAC
MAC
MAC
MAC
MAC
MAC
MAC
MAC
MAC
MAC
MAC
MAC
MAC
MAC
MAC
MAC
MAC
MAC
MAC
MAC
MAC
MAC
MAC
MAC
MAC
MAC
MAC
MAC
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow