Sunset image issue

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
Quarkcharmed
Quarkcharmed Senior Member • Posts: 1,529
Re: Sunset image issue

Bender79ita wrote:

Quarkcharmed wrote:

The first image is not overexposed, it's exposed almost perfectly. If your goal is to get an out of camera jpeg without any editing, you'll never achieve it with such high contrast scenes.

I would have said underexposed by my standards

Here's the image - no fancy postprocessing, same image but with tweaked highlights/shadows.

If you shoot landscapes, the best approach is to shoot in raw and then edit, this way you get the whole dynamic range of your camera under control. In the image below, there's some banding in the sky which wouldn't be there had you edited a raw file which would have a lot more information.

Indeed the more you can saturate the signal, the better. For me the goal of bracketing is often finding that perfect exposure, bracketing on the edge between recoverable and unrecoverable highlights.

Once you ETTR, you can never go back. Don't they say something like that?

Exactly! However the OP, as far as I understand, shoots jpeg, ETTR may work with jpeg to some extent but the OP would have to switch to raw for ETTR.

Having the JPEG preview/review shown on the screen for zebra and histogram doesn't help at all though, sadly all cameras work like this.

UniWB provides good enough results, I use it in extreme contrast scenes (it's a bit painful to use), and normal neutral WB profile for everything else.

Quarkcharmed's gear list:Quarkcharmed's gear list
Canon EOS R5 Canon EF 70-200mm F2.8L IS II USM Canon EF 24-70mm F2.8L II USM Canon EF 16-35mm F4L IS USM
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow