Sunset image issue

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
Quarkcharmed
Quarkcharmed Senior Member • Posts: 1,535
Re: Sunset image issue

KenBPhoto wrote:

You are probably metering too high and the sun (highlights) are being blown out.

The first image is not blown out as I demonstrated here https://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/65353588

Accidentally or not, the OP actually managed a pretty good exposure.

You can fix this in a couple of different ways.

You could use an ND grad filter to try to equalize the light in the picture. This can give some really nice effects. It does require setup which is a pain but worth it.

You can make sure your camera meters on the highlights. This will make the shadows look black. This isn't an insurmountable issue if your camera has a good dynamic range. Make sure you meter point is on the brightest spot.

That's not the best way to capture high contrast scenes, it'll produce unusable jpegs (and the OP is shooting jpeg as afar as I understand), and suboptimal raw files, if you shoot raw.

Finally, I think people also do something similar to focus stacking and HDR. Haven't done that before but it looks intriguing.

Probably you mean exposure blending?

Quarkcharmed's gear list:Quarkcharmed's gear list
Canon EOS R5 Canon EF 70-200mm F2.8L IS II USM Canon EF 24-70mm F2.8L II USM Canon EF 16-35mm F4L IS USM
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow