Sunset image issue

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
Quarkcharmed
Quarkcharmed Senior Member • Posts: 1,531
Re: Exposure compensation and Highlight weighted metering

NikonNature wrote:

Kaspah wrote:

My camera has never set a too high non base ISO with Auto ISO resulting in blown highlights.

Most of the time I actually have highlight headroom shown on the camera's histogram.

YMMV

My experience has been similar. Plus with Auto ISO, you can use EC to tweak as needed.

Honestly, I feel like the technical discussion overshadows the practical application. Starting at base ISO is of course ideal. However, if there's a breeze or moving water, that influences your shutter speed. And if there are near and far objects you want in focus, that limits your aperture choices. So based on those restrictions, you *must* use certain SS and Aperture settings. ISO must therefore be adjusted. Who cares if you adjust it manually, or let the camera adjust it via Auto ISO?

It depends on the camera and on the metering mode you use. Again auto ISO, in my opinion, is good for action, birds etc.

With landscapes, auto ISO may produce inconsistent results, it may accidentally blow the highlights and actually it doesn't always give the optimal ISO (that is, you can do better if you set it manually by histogram and know what you're doing). It's good enough and fast, but you can do better if you go full manual.

Also if you use EC with auto ISO, it's not really different from full manual, you still have to control 3 parameters.

Quarkcharmed's gear list:Quarkcharmed's gear list
Canon EOS R5 Canon EF 70-200mm F2.8L IS II USM Canon EF 24-70mm F2.8L II USM Canon EF 16-35mm F4L IS USM
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow