help me decide on Panasonic LUMIX DMC-FZ70

Started 2 months ago | Questions thread
sherman_levine
sherman_levine Forum Pro • Posts: 13,243
Re: help me decide on Panasonic LUMIX DMC-FZ70

FZ80 certainly does have image stabilization.  It's basically an FZ70 with upgraded software, so it handles 4K video and related features

https://shop.panasonic.com/cameras-and-camcorders/cameras/lumix-point-and-shoot-cameras/DC-FZ80K.html

A lot depends on whether or not you want a camera which will be sharp when viewed at 100%. My experience with my FZ70 and FZ80 is that the camera is rather soft at the long end, and pretty much everything I've seen posted at full zoom which is "sharp" is also downsampled to 3mpx or so.

The Nikon P950 has a far better lens and will give you much sharper images at ISO 100-200, or if you process raw. At ISO 400 and above the JPG engine tends to smear. The menu choices are not quite as flexible as the Panasonic's, but sufficient to handle most situations.

Consider your own goals and resources in making the choice.  For me, I carry the P950 and the FZ80 sits on the shelf unless I have a very specific reason (related to the 4K features) for using it.

Lots of P950 samples in my album below. The P900 album samples would represent what I've obtained from JPGs,  since it didn't save as raw.

sherman_levine's gear list:sherman_levine's gear list
Panasonic FZ1000 Sony RX10 IV Nikon Coolpix P950
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow