Smartphone Clamp, Handle, and Lanyard Combo

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
greynolds Forum Member • Posts: 96
Smartphone Clamp, Handle, and Lanyard Combo

I've been thinking about options for ensuring I don't risk dropping my iPhone while taking photos for a while now.

My case (RokForm) has a lanyard slot, but it's a pain to put the lanyard on and take it off because I have to take the phone out of the case and don't want to have the lanyard on all the time as it will just get in the way.  So I've ruled this option out.

So I looked at the smartphone clamps that are on the market and found the Really Right Stuff clamp, the Sevenoak SK-PSC1 (which appears to be sold under a few different brand names), and the Shoulderpod S1 / S2 .

The Sevenoak and Shoulderpod use very similar clamps that are made of plastic.  The main difference between the 2 is that the Sevenoak clamp has a few extra 1/4" threaded sockets that could be useful for attaching other "stuff" (lights, etc.).  The other main difference is that the Sevenoak uses a rope like adjustable lanyard while the Shoulderpod has a narrow strap non-adjustable lanyard.  The Sevenoak has what appears to be a rubber/plastic covered handle while the Shoulderpod S2 has a wooden handle (with a very rough finish, though it may smooth over from use or could be lightly sanded, but it feels like they cut corners there).  They both have a leather piece that goes in the 1/4" thread between the handle and the smartphone clamp.

I'm finding that the plastic clamps do hold the phone, but the clamps bend once I have the phone clamped tightly enough to feel comfortable that the phone won't fall out.

I've ordered the Really Right Stuff clamp, which should arrive today, but it's just a clamp with no handle or lanyard.  I'm expecting that the RRS clamp won't bend, will be lower profile, and will generally have the typical higher quality feel to it that RRS products usually have.  Which leads me to my question...

Assuming I'm happy with the Really Right Stuff clamp, does anyone know where I can get a handle and lanyard that are just like the ones that come with the Sevenoak SK-PSC1?  Shoulderpod sells their handle and lanyard parts separately, but I don't like either of their parts as much as the Sevenoak, though the wooden handle is something I could see myself growing to prefer over time.

I'm debating about keeping or returning the Sevenoak and Shoulderpod clamps, so if I keep them, I can just swap parts around as I see fit.

ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow