A Brief Return to Film, Could Use Some Help

Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
tassienick Senior Member • Posts: 1,564
Re: A Brief Return to Film, Could Use Some Help

Brev00 wrote:

I will start out with one of the worst:

Exposure looks fine, scan has blown the highlights.

This is a kind of pic I take fairly often while doing my daily 10K steps around my neighborhood. Pretty life-like. Not very sharp with the grain seeming to cloud the image:

Over-sharpened scan has emphasised the grain.

Here are a few of the landscape type:

Very bright, little highlight detail

Exposure looks fine, scan has blown the highlights.

Held the highlights, very little shadow detail. With digital, I could recover much of the shadow detail.

Camera has exposed for the highlights and badly underexposed the shadows.

A complete loss of contrast here though the starburst held up

Camera has exposed for the highlights and badly underexposed the shadows.

Am I expecting too much?

Yes.

A consumer grade 35mm colour negative film is never going to be as 'good' as a modern full frame digital, if your yardstick for 'good' is technical performance.

Is it the old maxim that one out of hundred shots is a keeper?

No more or less so than with digital. Medium doesn't make you a better photographer.

Are these limitations of the specific film I used?

Sort of, but not really.

C200 isn't an excellent film, but it's fine. Most of the issues I see above are due to either underexposure (which colour negative films hate) and/or bad scanning (which tends to blow highlights and over-sharpen, which makes grain much more pronounced).

Keep in mind that digital has good shadow latitude, while colour negative has good highlight latitude. Meter colour negative like digital and you will end up with muddy, detailless shadows.

Regarding your comments about your old prints turning out fine - in my experience small lab prints (ie. 6x4") tend to be better at covering imperfections than cheap lab scans.

Am I messing up in some way? Or, are these pics mostly pretty good?

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow