Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
mamallama
mamallama Forum Pro • Posts: 59,883
Re: A Brief Return to Film, Could Use Some Help

Brev00 wrote:

Overrank wrote:

Brev00 wrote:

Overrank wrote:

A couple of comparisons between Nikon F80 / Ektachrome E100 and Nikon D610 -https://www.dpreview.com/forums/thread/4570371

As has been said some issues could be down to the scanning. C200 probably isn5 the most “digital” like film either. New Ektachrome is superb

I will have to try the Ektachrome. The film was scanned by my local photo shop. I know nothing about what they did. I will have to look further into that. I know I never had these problems when I shot film and it was developed from negatives into prints. I have no idea what the effects of scanning may be. I have tried two different shops with two different rolls and had similar results.

If you want to use colour negative film you may also want to try Ektar - which is also cheaper and cheaper to develop. My intent is always to get the photo I want from the camera / scanner with no post processing, I absolutely want to avoid having to PhotoShop the image later, that is one of the main reasons I shoot film. If you are relying on a lab to digitize your film then it may be worth getting them saved as 48 bit tiffs which would allow you to recover some of the detail in the petals, for example. They often charge extra for this so it might be worth looking around at lab prices (or looking / asking on here for recommended ones)

My suggestions are

* Use a quality film like Ektar or Ektachrome (others like Portra are available but I have no experience with them)

* For negative film, if there’s a choice then overexpose rather than underexpose

* It looks like you have a F80 (N80): trust the matrix metering on the camera, it’s pretty good

* Use a grey card to check the exposure (or a patch of grass )

* As you're not doing your own scanning, get 48 bit tiffs back from scanning so that you can recover the highlights if necessary

You should be getting images back which look like what was there, Kodak, Fujifilm etc spent a lot of money trying to achieve this for people using point and shoots and disposables.

The following is a recent lab scan of mine, resized but otherwise straight out of scanner

Nikon F3, Ektachrome E100, metered using an incident light meter

Fantastic pic. Yes, I am not about post processing my film shots. I want them good straight out of the camera just as I got them before digital.

If you are talking about negative film shots, you are mistaken to think what you got was straight out of the camera. There were a lot of variables applied from the time the film left the camera and the prints you got.

I appreciate your tips like trusting the matrix meter. That was sufficient for me in the past. I will try some Ektar film and talk to the shop that will be doing the scanning of my next roll. Unless I figure out how to scan the negatives myself. Thanks again.

mamallama's gear list:mamallama's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX85 +1 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow