DoF may not exist...

Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
Greg7579
Greg7579 Forum Pro • Posts: 14,041
Re: Done and dusted

JimKasson wrote:

Greg7579 wrote:

Erik, it is time. Fuji, it is time. Forget the math and CoC and do the work by shooting in a lab and in the wild and stating when the pixels start to lose it. Please.

I did that a year ago, at your request.

Not really.  You took a few snapshots at various apertures and posted the pictures.

It was interesting and you do great work, but I take shots like that all the time and view the results so I'm not sure what that was really telling me that I haven't already seen.

You have ignored my recommendations.

I never ignore you.  That would be like ignoring Teresa and it only leads to sadness and despair in my day.

Here's a data point: with a 45 mm lens on a GFX 100x at f/5.6, focused at 100 meters, the threshold of critical focus at 1:1 is at 50 meters. Critical focus in that case extends -- just barely -- all the way to infinity.

I asked to you check and see if you agree. I gave you a test to perform that will take you half an hour that should be dispositive. You ahve not done it.

I'm not interested in conducting tests for you Jim. You know I luv ya Man but it is starting to get irritating.   You do the testing.  You are determined to get me to shoot a 50 meter target with one GF lens and then apply a specific CoC that you have devised and that you know will work for that shot and that is supposed to somehow renew my faith in the Holy DOF tables and the unusable (for most normal people) fudge-factor scientists call  CoC.

Then somehow I will become convinced that the tables are now sound when I already know they are not.  How do I know?  Because I shoot GFX almost every day of my life and I see DOF like Rembrandt saw half-lit faces.  So trust me.  I know  You just gotta have some trust in me Brother.

We're a team Jim.  I shoot in the wild.  You shoot, test and teach.  I'm listening and learning but that does not mean we will agree on every GFX tidbit.  Because that is all this is.  A tidbit.

Someone (Fuji) please do DOF tables for all of the GF lenses and please do not even mention CoC in them. Just do the tables and state the distances at all the apertures for each lens at each focal length of the zooms.

I can do that once you verify that what you think is the threshold of critical focus is what I think the threshold of critical focus is.

That's a lot of stuff, but easy to plug in on an app.

Once you verify my findings -- which I've tested in the field -- I can tell you how to set up most any DOF calculator to do what you're asking.

You asked -- a long time ago, not just today. I answered. I did a fair amount of work to verify my answer (which, by the way, works for the a7RIV, too). I asked you to see if you agree with my answer. You haven't done that. The ball is in your court.

If it works for the alphasevenarefour then I am suspicious because that camera is a smaller format that we used to call Full-Frame that has a lot more DOF than the GFX.  😁

Jim

-- hide signature --
 Greg7579's gear list:Greg7579's gear list
Leica Q2 Fujifilm GFX 50R Fujifilm GFX 100 Fujifilm GF 32-64mm F4 Fujifilm 120mm F4 Macro +8 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
MOD JimKasson
MOD JimKasson
MOD JimKasson
MOD JimKasson
MOD JimKasson
MOD JimKasson
MOD JimKasson
MOD JimKasson
MOD JimKasson
MOD JimKasson
MOD JimKasson
MOD JimKasson
MOD JimKasson
MOD JimKasson
MOD JimKasson
MOD JimKasson
MOD JimKasson
MOD JimKasson
MOD JimKasson
MOD JimKasson
MOD JimKasson
MOD JimKasson
MOD JimKasson
MOD JimKasson
MOD JimKasson
MOD JimKasson
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow