How to have my photography appreciated, or mean something?

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
photonut2008
photonut2008 Veteran Member • Posts: 6,313
Re: How to have my photography appreciated, or mean something?

mfinley wrote:

photonut2008 wrote:

The photos I showed earlier in this thread were chosen precisely because they have what I would say are broad appeal. I know that because every one of them evoked effusive response from multiple viewers.

Sure because - Responses to anything are self-censored by the group you ask to respond. They are okay. They are nothing special photographically as you can judge by the response, you didn't receive 50 overwhelming responses that filled the thread with WOW! Silence is a vote too "When you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything", and in fact in reality you got a mixed response (which you didn't like) - "Nice pictures, but nothing that stands out from other competent photographers' works." Which tells you, they are okay, mediocre, appealing to some, not to others, that's middle of the road. That's mediocre by definition.

I know the photos aren't going to appeal to everyone. What's important to me is that they appeal to me. I'm gratified that they appeal to others too, and the reason I posted them here is that Contadorfan wrote that, "IMO, most people don't respond to a photographic image unless it's a snapshot of smiling relatives or friends. Other subjects aren't that interesting. Photographs don't move people as readily as music does. Photography ranks with dance as an appealing art -- some like & get it, most don't." That's not my experience, his reply and yours (and no doubt others as well) notwithstanding.

Now go show them to your girlfriend and I'm sure you will get a WAY more positive response. She has an emotional connection to you and will filter her responses based on her relationship with you, strangers don't have this filter. Again - Responses to anything are self-censored by the group you ask to respond.

You obviously don't know my girlfriend. One of the only photos she's ever made an unsolicited positive comment on was a print on the wall of this one:

The 16x20 inch print looks a bit different -- softer but not the opposite of sharper.

Heck, she barely acknowledged this one:

Competence means nothing without perseverance.

She is constantly telling me what I should have done, and wants to go the Raw files to look at the outtakes and second guess my choices. I'm fine with that.

I have photos I particularly like that don't get those responses, and while I sometimes question whether they are any good or not based on that, I find myself enjoying revisiting them and spending time with them, so it doesn't matter to me if they are not popular or "sophisticated," it only matters to me that I enjoy them.

Of course. If you created them in order to elicit ohhs and ahhs from a specific audience and they didn't they are failures, if you created them for your own enjoyment and you enjoy them then they were successful. Again - Responses to anything are self-censored by the group you ask to respond. You were the group.

I see it somewhat differently. The failure is to find anyone that likes them as much or perhaps more than I do. For example:

See it, shoot it, process it.

That's the point I was trying to make in my reply to the OP here who never returned to this thread.

-- hide signature --

DPR, where gear is king and photography merely a jester

photonut2008's gear list:photonut2008's gear list
Nikon D800 Nikon D500 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 16-85mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm F1.8G +15 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
tex
MOD Smaug01
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow